Sunday, January 5, 2020

Veneitan Crab Sandwich Tramezzino Recipe Vencie






Tramezzini




The first time I went to Italy in 1985, and discovered Tramezzini Sandwiches on my first ever foray eating anything in Italy. I had check into my pensione near the Train Station in Rome. After checking in, unpacking, and taking a shower to freshin up, I was ready for the Internal City. I walked a few blocks and spotted a little Bar / Kiosk and went in to check it out. I saw the Tramezzini and order two of them, along with an Espresso and a small bottle of Apricot Juice and that was my 1st ever meal (breakfast) in Italy. I loved it, and for the next 4 days in Rome, that was my Breakfast, but with 3 Tramezzini, and I've always loved them and the variety of ingredients, especially in Venice where they have ones that are stuffed with Crab Meat. "Yumm" ! This is, just one of my breakfast stories, and I have more. But that's for another time. Basta !
Daniele


"The above was a reply to a post in a Facebook Italian Food Group. I made this reply to someone posting about what a typical breakfast is like in Italy. The above was a reply I made that got me thinking of doing a little piece on my beloved Tramezzini. Hope you enjoy." When is a sandwich not a sandwich! When it’s a tramezzino! And when I told a friend I was writing a post about them she exclaimed “WHY THEY’RE JUST HORRIBLE SANDWICHES?” Not so fast… In case you’re wondering…I have a thing for sandwiches…always have. I also have a passion for Donna Leon’s Venetian Detective Commissario Brunetti books! And the characters are always going to the bar for a glass of wine and a tramezzino! So…while in Rome I spotted those tramezzini from afar! The initial appeal is, once again with that Italians thing with presentation and packaging!
So then I started wondering why the heck are there fancy sandwiches in Italy…I have a thing about these sorts of connections! Turns out the origin of the Tramezzino can be found in the Caffee Mulassano di Piazza Castello in Turin where it was devised in 1925 as an alternative to English tea sandwiches. And wouldn’t you know it, Italians being Italians, Venetians claim it first came into being in Mestre in the late 1940’s! Some are of the opinion that it was an import, bought to Turin or Venice by someone who had visited England… aha, I knew it! Personally, I like the idea that someone from England was doing the Grand Tour and requested them!

When it comes to fancy English style sandwiches, I’ve made more than my share in my previous life as a caterer; probably thousands and thousands and you know what…I never get tired of trimming crusts! Click here for my English fancy sandwiches. Scroll down to find links to more delicious fillings! Poet and writer Gabriele D’Annunzio was credited with the naming of the tramezzino, “Italianizing” the English word “sandwich” and the Italian word means either “between the two” or a “little something in the middle” or a “snack in between.”
The tramezzino is made using soft, white bread with the crusts cut off. And then there are the fillings! Anything from shrimp and arugula; tuna, capers and mayonnaise; tuna, tomato and olive; tomato, mozzarella and lettuce; Proscuitto Cotto (cooked ham) and mayo or with the addition of cheese; and boiled sliced egg, asparagus and tomato. To qualify as a authentic tramezzino, the sandwich must be a delight to the eye and to the taste buds. I ask you, what’s not to love?



An Assortment of Tramezzini

In a Bar in Venice, Italy
VENETIAN CRAB SANDWICHES TRAMEZZINO al GRANCHIO






TRANEZZINO al GRANCHIO


RECIPE


INGREDIENTS:

Makes 8 triangles

2 6 oz. cans Lump Crabmeat, drained

½ cup shredded Carrots

1 tablespoon Olive Oil

2 tablespoons Lemon Juice

¼ cup Mayonnaise

1 tablespoon Ketchup

½ teaspoon Garlic Powder

½ teaspoon Onion Powder

¼ teaspoon Paprika

¼ teaspoon prepared Horseradish

½ teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce

½ teaspoon Mustard

1 teaspoon Hot Sauce add more if you like it spicy

Pinch of Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper

8 slices of soft white Bread crust removed

2 hard-boiled Eggs sliced

1 cup baby Spinach

1 large Tomato sliced

DIRECTIONS:


  • Drain the crabmeat and lightly squeeze with paper towels to remove excess moisture. In a medium bowl combine the first 14 ingredients.
  • Assemble the sandwiches by spreading four slices of bread with the crab mixture. Cover with spinach leaves, tomato, and egg slices. 
  • Spread the other four slices of bread with a thin layer of mayo and place over the slices with crab mixture. Press bread edges to seal.
  • Cover with clear wrap and refrigerate for 15-30 minutes. Cut the sandwiches into triangles and serve.





ITALIAN FOOD

STORIES & RECIPES

ROME

NEW YORK

VENICE

ITALY





.


No comments:

Post a Comment